Project Commissioning Engineer
- Cambridge, MA
- Remote friendly
Posted on February 8, 2024
Mantel is a climate tech startup supported by Breakthrough Energy, The Engine and New Climate Ventures. Born out of MIT, Mantel was founded by two MIT scientists and a Harvard MBA to develop the material solution to carbon capture. Our molten borates are designed to operate at the high temperatures found inside boilers, kilns, and furnaces – enabling highly efficient carbon capture that has not been possible until now. Carbon capture can be applied across industry to reduce emissions - and even achieve net-negative emissions. By solving for efficiency Mantel can reduce energy losses to near-zero and cut costs in half, unlocking carbon capture’s role in reaching net-zero emissions globally.
Mantel is looking for a Project Commissioning Engineer excited to join a promising carbon capture startup working on the development of molten salts as a novel CO2 sorbent material. The Project Engineer will be responsible for execution of Mantel’s demonstration plant design, build, and commissioning, coordinating with multiple EPCs, consultants, equipment vendors, and customer engineering/trades/operations. This position will serve as the project lead and work jointly with Mantel’s senior design engineers to develop the commissioning plan. Specific tasking includes project schedule ownership, technical deliverable review and tracking, facilitation of weekly status meetings, internal and external technical presentation and reporting, and coordination with management on project staffing. Additional technical tasking includes developing commissioning plans, ensuring safety compliance and HAZOP execution, equipment specification review, and cross-discipline coordination with Mantel product and R&D teams. Mantel is looking for a well-organized, versatile technical problem solver who can think outside the box and communicate effectively in a multi-disciplinary team environment.
· Bachelors degree in engineering (Chemical, Mechanical)
· Experience in industrial plant design and project management
· Field experience in industrial plant construction and commissioning
· Thorough understanding of engineering drawings, P&IDs, subsystem specifications, cut sheets, Quality Assurance/Quality Control documentation, and engineering test procedures
· Familiarity with industrial safety and process hazard analysis
· Familiarity with piping, welding, and electrical specifications
· Experience in interpreting and applying industry standards, customer/partner requirements, and government regulation compliance
· Experience with high-temperature, molten salt/metals, or boiler/steam systems
* Experience: Minimum 5 years of experience in project engineering and relevant experience commissioning industrial systems.
* Location: Cambridge, MA
*Travel: Frequent visits to partner and customer sites is required, with 1-2 week trips expected during commissioning in early 2025
* Compensation & Benefits – we provide competitive and holistic compensation to all our full-time team members, including:
· Highly competitive pay based on experience, option to include equity
· 90% subsidized medical and dental healthcare coverage
· Unlimited vacation policy, mental health personal days, generous sick leave, plus a week-long winter break at the end of December
· Health/Fitness and cell phone stipend
- Must be a resident of United States